Park Law Enforcement Association Awards & Scholarship For Individual Members And Agency Recognition
To recognize the outstanding work and accomplishments of men and woman in the park law enforcement profession throughout North America we encourage you to submit nominations of deserving officers and agencies.
Award Categories for Individual Members:
1. Life Saving Award: Includes acts that are performed both in the line of duty and while acting in an off duty capacity.
2. Valor Award: Any act of gallantry or courage while working as a park law enforcement officer. This includes acts of valor performed either on duty or in an off duty capacity.
3. Distinguished Service Award: Recognizes exceptional service to park law enforcement and to the community in which the officer serves. Service must be in addition to the officer’s regular duties.
4. Lifetime Achievement Award: Recognizes career of service to both park law enforcement and the Park Law Enforcement Association (PLEA). A minimum of 20 years in park law enforcement and 10 years associated with PLEA is required.
Work status of officers that can receive awards:
1. Full-time officers are eligible for all four awards.
2. Part-time and auxiliary officers are eligible for the “Lifesaving Award” and the “Valor Award”.
Status with the Park Law Enforcement Association:
All award nominees must meet one of the following PLEA membership conditions:
1. Officer must be an individual member in good standing of the Park Law Enforcement Association (PLEA).
2. Officer must be employed by a department that has an agency membership in good standing with the Park Law Enforcement Association (PLEA).
Nomination Procedures and Selection Criteria:
1. Nominations should be made for acts and service that occur between December 1 and November 30 for the year prior to each annual PLEA Conference.
2. All nominations are to be in written form.
3. Nominations will either be submitted to the Executive Director on the PLEA website or directly to the PLEA President.
4. All nominations are to be submitted no later than 30 days prior to the annual PLEA Conference.
5. An Awards Committee selected by the PLEA President will review all nominations. This committee will then make all determinations of any awards bestowed.
6. The PLEA President will notify all award recipients. The recipients will receive their awards at the annual PLEA Conference if possible.
7. All decisions by the awards committee are final.
Commander Newell S. Rand Jr.
Agency Recognition Awards
President's Award: Given to that park enforcement or park safety agency that the Executive Director, President and available past presidents feel exemplifies excellence in all aspects of park law enforcement to include professionalism, enhanced safety for park guests, furthering the cause of park law enforcement as a specialty enforcement agency and education of park users to have a better understanding of the value of parks and recreation. The successful agency will have a demonstrative history of collaboration and partnership with other park professionals as well as other law enforcement partners.
Platinum Excellence Award: Awarded by the current Board of Directors to that park enforcement or park safety agency that demonstrates a commitment to excellence in park law enforcement/safety and education and has demonstrated a commitment to sustainability, crime reduction, inter agency collaboration and accountability to the taxpayer in reducing duplicative services. The successful agency should have a demonstrated history or track record of implementing innovative management strategies that increase effectiveness or efficiencies in the delivery of park safety or security protocols. Submit documentation of your agency’s success in 500 words or less outlining how your efforts are consistent with one or both of the above goals. Include any media coverage, photos or other supporting documentation that supports your nomination. Additionally, the organization’s highest ranking official or their designee must also write a letter of support for the award.
Applying agencies must forward their completed documentation to Executive Director Carl Nielsen by January 15th; Award(s) to be recognized at the annual PLEA conference. Successful agencies will receive 2 free conference waivers for the next conference.